A Brush With Kindness (critical repair)
A Brush with Kindness is a program of the Staunton-Augusta-Waynesboro Habitat for Humanity that helps low-income homeowners by offering exterior, repair and/or rehab improvements. Volunteer teams work to improve the condition of homes by focusing on repairs to make their home decent and livable. Able-bodies homeowners are encouraged to work alongside the volunteers in a cooperative effort. This program is for homeowners earning 80% or less of the median income (see income guidelines).
What Work Can We Do?
A Brush with Kindness focuses primarily on repairs and/or rehab projects that will improve the quality of life for the residents and provide a decent home to live in. We offer volunteer labor at no cost and will use donated items where possible for the repairs. However this service is not a hand-out and the homeowners are responsible for the cost of supplies and materials purchased for the repairs.
Am I Eligible?
A Brush with Kindness partners with low-income homeowners based on need and the scope of the work to be completed.
- Applicant must currently own and occupy the home that needs the work for at least two (2) years.
- Home must be in our service area and applicant must meet the income guidelines outlined in this brochure.
- Must be unable to afford necessary home improvements and unable to complete them otherwise due to age, disability, or circumstance.
- Applicant will agree to pay back a no-interest loan for the work done on their home.
- Applicant must be able to afford a 0% interest loan with a minimum monthly payment of $40 a month for 10 years (typical payment to cover $5,000 worth of materials).
- Willingness to partner with SAW HfH.